Monday, September 1, 2008

No-bituary



Nokia 8210. Faithful friend over the past six years, having withstood six feet drops, multiple attempts to drown it, and innumerable amounts of ridicule.

(I remember a friend I met last year who burst out laughing when I brought out this phone, and said "You ah, embarass me also you know, bring out a phone like that!" Hahaha! Ouch.)

(I remember being accosted by a bunch of drunkards at about 1 a.m. one Friday morning. I was sending an sms, and they snatched the phone from me and started being difficult. Luckily, my friends ran to my aid. He threw it to the ground, turned around in drunken disgust, and said, 'It's not even one with a camera anyway.')

(At least it survived him hurling it to the ground.)

This phone would fit into the empty window armrest slot in my car, it would wake me up every morning, and fit snugly into my hands. My Snake high score of 1620 still sits there, as do my pinball high scores. It's alarm would wake me up every morning. It still houses smses from six years ago.

(Wei, all the best for tomorrow. Dun worry, if no one wants to marry u, i'll be there 4 u! Hehe. ****** here! C u when I get back.)

But old age begin to show - the battery was suicidal, dying at the most inappropriate times, and the final straw was when the buttons refused to work.

And so I say goodbye today to and old, and faithful friend, as resistant to change as its owner. Goodbye, monochromic Nokia. Have a long, well-earned rest.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's your newBABE?

-D-

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha

i gots a new phone tooo! (: Nokia E71!

(apart from the shoes)

mellowdramatic said...

Ah, K! I've seen the E71 online... looks like a Blackberry but made with good quality material apparently!

Has a great looking keyboard(All the better to blog you with, my dear! Hahaha!)Is the camera any good?

(P.S. Shoes AND new phone? You=Imelda Marcos the 2nd! Hahaha!

Unknown said...

oh no... parting with a phone that's been with you through all good and bad times is like a sad breakup isn't it? Well enjoy the new shinier model! You've stuck with a Nokia still!

Nicole said...

FINALLY!!!!!!! hooray!!! the old phone is dead!!! atleast you have a camera cum phone now!!! haha like your new phone...by the way....so who sent you the sms about marrying you??? hmmmmmmm

mellowdramatic said...

Julz: Yeah, you're right! It is like a breakup... (I told the phone: You're too good for me, it's not you, it's me... etc.) Hahaha! Yeah, still stuck with Nokia, unfortunately!

Nicole: Yeah, new phone, finally! I'm finally joining the 'in' crowd. Maybe Facebook next! The sms was sent to me by the very lovely ... yeah, like I'll tell you! Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Wei... Where have you been hiding all these years? Heheheh...

It's been so difficult finding you down. But thanks to my wonder google powers (even then, had to use it many many times) finally managed to find a trace leading to your existence. get in touch yeah? I'm on Facebook and Friendster (preferably facebook).

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm one of your boarding roommate, along with Tom Kurus and Weech. Hope to hear from you in a week,... i'm not really a blogger or on myspace, so hopefully i don't need to join any of these to get in touch with you.

keep in touch yeah? looking forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers! =)

LX

mellowdramatic said...

Hi Alex (Wong YF! if I remember correctly). Wow! Long time no hear indeed!

Er... I am technologically retarded, and therefore do not have friendster/facebook/myspace/yourspace/theirspace, unfortunately!

We can still communicate by e-mail if you wish, I'm still at hengkhuen@yahoo.com. It would be good to catch up! Welcome to my blog!