Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Promise

I know I should write more often, and being an avid blogreader, I know the annoyance you get when someone doesn't update their blog as frequently as you'd like!

I have spent today recuperating from nine long days of strength-sapping, emotionally draining work. It has been a really difficult period in my career life, and I have currently little to hold on to, but one evening, leaving work, I was reminded that I am not in control.



There was a vivid rainbow outside the hospital as I was heading towards the carpark. It was a complete rainbow, an unbroken arc of colours taken from God's personal palette, painted against the sky blue canvas. The sun shone somewhere in the west, its beams diverged by the mild drizzle falling on me.

I remembered reading as a primary school boy about how you could remember all seven colours of the rainbow - VIBGYOR! - Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red. Or the little ditty to help us remember it the other way around - Richard Of York, Games, Battles In Vain.

It was a reminder of God's promise, that he would never flood the earth again in the same way that He did during Noah's time. And He has kept his part of the promise, although we have continued to be unfaithful.

And it was a reminder to me, too, that He will remain faithful.

Although all I want to do is kick and scream and breath-hold until I get my way, He knows what's best for me, and will eventually bring me there.

Help my unbelief, Father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha so you see, acronyms/mnemonics are ingrained in us from childhood!

actually i remember just being taught Roy G. Biv was a boy's name. hahaha

it gives me shivers to think of piano acronyms.. oh how i hated THEORY - til now I only remember the treble clef. Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit, and FACE