Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Sky Is Yours

It is officially a heatwave in Melbourne, and in Adelaide, it has become the hottest period in 100 years.

The heat is keeping people at home and away from the Emergency Department, but many walk in with heat related complications as well.

I stepped out into the warm night, after my second last shift in this ED, and there was the saving grace of a gentle breeze blowing around.

I walked into the car, and did what I have not done in my 3 years of having this car - I lowered the car window and stuck my hand out throughout the whole trip home.

My right hand sits outside the window, accelerating towards the wind at sixty kilometres an hour. The wind is like velvet sand, dispersing through the sieve which are my fingers. The streets are empty as it is the witching hour. For the moment the world is mine, and I am free.

Everytime I stop at a traffic light, my fingers tingle delightfully, ants crawling through my windkissed hand.

I look at my hand outside the car window, the grass a green-yellow blur as I drive by, and I told myself that there would be many long trips this year, in cloudless sunshiny days, where my hands would flow with the winds of a different place.

3 comments:

dng said...

heng tai! dinner? next week? when weather's not so bleeding cookin'.

Nicole said...

AH BENG!!!!!!

mellowdramatic said...

Dong - sounds good! We'll be in touch soon. Yeah, I'm all done and ready to be served man! Lousy weather!

Nicole - Hahaha! What on earth perspective is that? In two words, you have turned something so meaningful and deep into its most accurate description!