Friday, February 19, 2010

What Karen Did


The new bedroom look: New bedspread, new table, new cupboard, new chair, new facial expression

I know that this post has been awhile coming, but I have been busy with this new hobby of mine: regular work. (Give me back last year!)

But trudging back to Melbourne from Malaysia, with the chains of nostalgia still heavy around my feet, I followed Karen up to my bedroom to unpack.

The first thing that I noticed amiss was that a shelf of mine, which used to be in the bedroom, was sitting out in the landing, and gone were the boxes I kept my piles of in-case-of-emergency-break-cardboard-box trash which I was going to sort through one day.

But walking into the room, and hearing Karen yell "Surprise!", I was really taken aback by the transformation that she had undertaken while I was away.

I could finally see my bedroom floor.

All my books were neatly stacked, and there was this awesome new computer table as well! Sneaky as she was, Karen had managed to enlist the help of a friend, Charles, and my brother to give my room a much needed Extreme Makeover with the help of our good friend Mr. Ikea.

And so now my room has a different feel. The light enters in a different way, there is more space to move around, and even Lillian Too, feng shui master (mistress?) extraordinaire would approve, saying that the wind and water flow is now causing the dragon to rouse from his slumber and eat the phoenix for breakfast. (Why do people even pay money for this?)

Anyways, a very big thank you to everyone who directly or indirectly conspired with Karen to make my room that little more liveable!