Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Family Holiday Part 1

I know that this is a long time coming, and as you know, I have been (insert excuse here).

But I have decided that I would like to remember these past few months as well as I can, and so here, via the benefits of my birthday Canon Ixus 80 iS and the wonders of Photoscape, I would like to present to you, The Cheoks on vacation:



Mum and Grace had arrived a few days earlier, but I couldn't see them at the airport because I was away working in M. This was going to be a relaxing trip for my sister and my Mum before my sister started her housemanship year proper (a.k.a. the ninth circle of working-life Hell) in Malaysia.

And so K picked me up from the airport - it was really good seeing her after being away for awhile - and we drove off to Tai Pan for their yum cha there. I can't tell you how happy we were as a family to meet again - this was only my sister's second trip to Melbourne and my Mum's fourth (I think, Mum?). My brother, D, HC and J were there as well, so it really felt like a reunion of sorts.

The timing couldn't have been any better as well - it was my sister's (insert desired number here, Grace)th birthday - so we went over to HC and J for a time of birthday celebrations (with J's beautiful homemade cheesecake) and to play the Wii and to let Angus, their King Charles' Cavalier pee all over us in its excitement again!



There was also a chance for our favourite get-together meal - steamboat - which is basically boiling raw meat and vegetables in a common soup pot and dipping them in yummy sauces before devouring it. As usual, there was enough food leftover to feed a tiny nation.

Unfortunately, I had a week-long course to attend, and my brother and his girlfriend and K had to play host without me. I will say very little about these next few photos, but put them up for my family to remember as well.



Yummy breakfast at the Boathouse in Maribyrnong, loved dearly by K, and tolerated by me. (I'm going to be in so much trouble for writing this!)



Travelling to the Dandenongs and Sassafras - Geppeto's Workshop, where Pinnochio works behind the counter and has to chop his nose every night because he'd lie so often to the customers in the daytime.



And of course, no trip to Sassafras is complete without a trip to Miss Marple's - wonderful scones, decadent sundaes and more teapots than in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

I love this top left hand corner photo of my brother and D, taken expertly by K.

7 comments:

LiveByFaith79 said...

FINALLY, u have written something.. Been checking for UPDATES like... "Ive lost counts"......... something to sit back, relax and read ur wonderfully and well-thought through real-life story.. ;) thanks HK.... we do miss u tons.. esp ur brother..

do come back often and have some brotherly time with him.. He is missing u terribly ....

Anonymous said...

hi HK,
simwei here (IMU M101/SauYong's /Kluang junior)
how amazing internet is...was googling for my melbourne holiday...typing a few key words like family holiday/melb/blog (I research my holiday with blog coz i dont trust official website :P) and here I am reading your blogs...
I like ur story telling, ur wit & humour in them...
Browsing thru ur blogs..just take me to the most amazing memory lane...thankyou for that
If u publishing ur blogs into a book...I'll buy it..
anyhow, good to see how wonderful life is for u, ur partner & ur family
Take care, God bless

Anonymous said...

Haha! Breakfast at the boathouse is scrumptious lar... tolerated by you only. K's gonna go 'Excuuuse me!' now!
But wonder why breakfast is so ex...back here RM2 can kau tim di. But of course roti canai and teh tarik will kau tim your vessels too la..

Ah... Angus the horny cutie pie dog.
And the cheesecake. Let's not forget the wonderful dinner by K and WenC and the special steamboat soup by D! Hahaha...

Missing it all di... yes, housemanship is actually another word for slavery.. wworking in Mc D's pays more, plus there's free food!

Anyway, nice entries bro. Finally you've updated. Been looking out for it. Loved your descriptions and the way you compiled the pics. =)

LiveByFaith79 said...

GCLK: Missing you

HK: Write ON. See, u must pursue and build up your talents. :) Will gobble down ur "personally homemade" browniess...:)

K: Wonderful dinner yesterday. Love the trouts. * I'm hungry now*

mellowdramatic said...

D - Thank you for reading - I know that I have not written as frequently as I'd like, hopefully I can make up for lost time now!

Sim Wei - Hello! I like the way you introduced yourself - three clues to who you are - of course I remember! Hahaha!

Thanks for reading, and for your encouragement - I certainly love to write, and am truly appreciative of people who identify with the stories.

Let me know when you're down in Melbourne - it will be good to catch up then!

GCLK - Excccuuuuseee Meee! K loves the shirt and has modeled it especially for you!

Yeah... you're right... I've only taken the pictures from the Canon and forgotten about the ones in my phone - maybe I can put it up at a later date - although sometimes the pictures won't match the memories adequately enough...

I know housemanship is a difficult time for you now, but it will get easier, and be kind to yourself! I love you!

K said...

EXCUUUUUSE ME, I like my big breakfast at the Boathouse very much!

I secretly suspect it's jealousy at work here... because I told you my eyes were feasting on the cute french waiter who served me last time I was there!

mellowdramatic said...

K - Aww bee bee aww... Let me assure you that it has nothing to do with the cute French waiter there

- I have already killed him.

Hahaha! Okay... I will give it another chance one day!