Monday, March 24, 2008

I Know What I Did This Easter

This has been a really relaxing and fun Easter - having shed the need to attend church camps this year, I took time off with about ten other friends to take a relaxing holiday in a farm retreat.

It was a very reclusive place in the middle of nowhere, and, like seriously, I mean in the middle of nowhere. It was off a gravel road in a town where the population was like, twenty (including sheep).

I actually got quite lost getting there, driving around aimlessly like the guy in that scary movie who picks up the crazed hitchiker with a hook for a hand in the middle of nowhere country. (Coming soon to a cinema near you - I Know What You Did Last Easter)

*cue scary movie music*

*cue crazed Easter rabbits with bandannas and machine guns*

But I finally found the place - it had a very nice English cottage feel about it with a modern twist - surrounded by farmland, four bedrooms with at least three layers of bedding in each bed, fireplaces - but with a plasma TV, a metal kitchenette, dishwasher, the works - it was like being in a city apartment but in a country setting.





During the first night, there was an outdoor balcony where we had our BBQ dinner on, and a flock of cockatoos and galahs perched themselves on the branches of a nearby weathered tree, their silhouettes clearly defined as the sun set around us. It was quite an experience being there, so far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city.



There was also quite a beautiful lake nearby with lilies and ducks - we would kayak ourselves along the lake, and it was a true picture of tranquility - a place where time forgot, where silence was dominant, disrupted only by the gentle bleating of sheep and the sound of our oars piercing the lake.



We spent a lot of time inside the house - we had brought enough food to last us the four days, and we took a lot of time doing absolutely nothing - sitting around reading books, playing the piano or guitar, doing sudoku or crossword puzzles, watching TV or lounging in the spa.

And then night would come and then we would play different things like Texas Hold 'Em or Pictionary or Actionary (Charades using Pictionary words... easy, you say? Let's see you act out the word lettuce) or trivia questions (my Malaysian friends reading this will be going like what?? It's just a cultural thing here man... they take their trivia pretty seriously round these parts!)

All in all it was an invigorating experience, although I'm not sure how much invigorating I needed since I only had a week's work done since returning from my holiday in Malaysia!

I'm lucky, I know, but on the two hour drive home, deep down I knew that there was still a part of me that still hadn't gotten over my trip back to Malaysia yet.

Another aeroplane,
Another sunny place,
I'm lucky, I know,
But I want to go home,
I've got to go home.
- Michael Buble, Home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha IKWYDLE sounds like the B-gradest of B-grade movies p'heng

when you're free dear dr it has to be my treat. and we can go to brother baba budan and i'll drown myself in coffee

mellowdramatic said...

Ah, nawng! You could join me in this movie and we will be the token Asian boy and girl who gets killed due to their curiosity wandering into a cabbage patch manned by those killer rabbits.

Okay, I'll let you know, some time next week would be best!

Anonymous said...

Faster come home, bro!
Your prezzie's waiting for you...
Tick Tick Tick... BoOOmmmM!