Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Up Under: Four Days in Sydney

the last day

My flight was at 4.00 pm that evening.

F very kindly agreed to take little M swimming while P and I took some time off to catch up alone for the first time this trip. We ended up going to this wonderful part of Sydney called the Rocks, which is a pretty chic area tucked in under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which gave an awesome vantage point of the bridge.

We went to this place called Pancakes on the Rocks (a tourist trap, I know, but I had to go there for old times' sake) and had a really nice western breakfast complimented with an awesome vanilla and chocolate (both the pancake and ice-cream!) pancake for dessert. It was a deja vu moment for me, remembering how it was almost seven years ago when our family was brought here by a friend of my father's for the pancakes.

That's because they cook the pancakes on rock ovens.
Okay, so, no, they don't.

We went for our last meal together at this quaint part of Sydney, a haven for the hippies tucked away in a corner easily missed by the unobservant eye. It was a very nice cafe, but, as pointed out, one for the free spirits.


The cutely named Badde Manors cafe in Glebe, one of Sydney's treasure finds. Piano player not included.

Everything there was either organic or had the word chai in them, which is always a dead giveaway! Hahaha! But it was a really nice cafe, with friendly staff, and really yummy breakfast pastries. A lady kindly gave up her table of four to us when we walked in. (Hint: always carry a toddler with you to score sympathy tables!)

We left Badde Manors feeling satisfied, and I actually bought some pastries back for my brother and his girlfriend. Naturally, it sat in the fridge for 2 weeks before I remembered that they were there. I ate them ayway. (Mmm... organic moldy goodness!)

We dropped F off and I said my goodbyes to her. P then drove me to the airport, and it was a reluctant goodbye when it was finally said. One last long hug and a wave farewell to little M, and suddenly all I had was memories to take with me.

I started this series by saying that I love airports, because of the excitement of new places, of saying hello to old and long lost friends - but now, it was a different place - it was a place of goodbye and Godspeed, a place of 'I don't know when I'll ever see you again, but I will remember you in my prayers.'

Goodbye and Godspeed, P and your family.

And see you again, Sydney.

No comments: