Monday, December 24, 2007

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Now...

My hands are sore from attempting all these Christmas carols for the party tomorrow! Whoever wrote "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" was not a guitarist, otherwise he would have given up halfway through the song!

(/scene)

Hark! The herald (change chord) angels sing,
(change chord) Glory to the (change chord) new (change chord) born (change chord) king!
Peace on (change chord) earth and mer (change chord) cy (change chord) mild,
(change chord!?!) God and sinners re (change chord!!) con(change chord!!!)ciled
Joyful all ye na (CHANGE CHORD!!!)

(CHANGE SONG!!!)

Hark these hands are now aching,
I'm going to give up songwriting.


(Gives up songwriting profession and becomes a potato farmer instead.)

(/end scene)

Thankfully he didn't give up, and we have the wonderful carols we have with us today.

Christmas always sends a warm feeling in my heart. Sure, I have spent most of my Christmases at home along the Equator where the only white Christmases we had was if the haze was bad enough! But here's the KL equivalent of a Christmas:

Driving in the dark of your car through KL at night, the city somehow more vibrant than usual - Bintang Walk decorated with bright yellow lit starshaped lamps, with ribbons of red and green lights adorning the streetlamps. Revellers thronging the streets, and you never really felt unsafe despite the swelling crowds. The soft croon of Frank Sinatra in the background wishing all kids from one to ninety two a Merry Little Christmas now.

This year I believe that I am way more Christmassed than I have been in previous years because:

1) I have now lost use of my left hand because I have been attempting to play Christmas Carols. I can now only pick my nose with my right hand. On the plus side, I have learnt how to play "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire" and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Now" apart from all the Christian goldies.

2) I have bought a Christmas compilation CD! Tacky, I know, but it has Boyz II Men's Silent Night and Mariah Carey's reverent earpiercing "O Holy Night!". PS. Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas album - best Christmas album of all time. True.

3) I have seen one Christmas related movie! It's Surviving Christmas, with Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini - pretty cheesy but a fun watch, and there's one great truth learnt - some people would pay huge amounts of money to have family around them at Christmas but others take it for granted.

Ben Affleck (smiling wanly) to James Gandolfini: 'Nothing. It's just ironic. I paid all that money to be part of your family. You're giving it away for nothing.'

4) I am attending not one, not four, but two Christmas parties.

5) I have wrapped not one, not three, but two Christmas Kriss Kringle presents. I have decided that I love wrapping things.

Yo, Christmas' cool, it's the greatest season,
I'm no fool, I know He's the reason.
They say it's Santa and his ho, ho, ho,
I look at them, and say I don't think so,
I love the season and it ain't no lie,
My saviour's born, I will testify.

Word.

(Wrapping, you fool. Not rapping.)

(Oh.)

Anyways, to all of you who follow me on my journey- both far and near- have a blessed little Christmas now.

P.S. Grace, wishing you were here with us. Soon, yeah, dear?

No comments: